We’ve carried out a lot of willow workshops with schools over the last few years and they have been incredibly varied. You can get some ideas of what to do for your school from the list below:
- A Willow Football, made during the Football World Cup
- Grazing animals – Sheep and Deer
- Woodland animals to display around the school grounds with the youngest children making mini beasts
- A willow child and a dove made for a peace garden
- A willow tree with bird feeders for a school Eco Day. Younger children made leaves and bird feeders for the tree.
- A willow boat with younger children making smaller boats or fish. This was using “Take a story” for inspiration.
- A willow swan, which was a school’s school mascot.
- Willow trays with handles – from a Lighthouse keepers lunch
- A willow dragon (because the teacher wanted one – but could be St George themed for example)
- Book themes – we could make items from willow that feature in a book your classes are reading
To get more out of the workshops schools have in the past asked children to take part in the planning stage, write reports and letters regarding what they did during the workshop.